Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Why children's books matter

As I mentioned last week, my mom was in town for a visit over the weekend. Before seeing Matilda: The Musical on Broadway, we decided it only made sense for us to pop by the New York Public Library's special exhibit, "The ABC of It: Why Children's Books Matter". We were so glad that we did! The show brings all the classics to life, with first editions, audio recordings, playful displays and more. The moment I walked in, I felt instantly transported back to my childhood, and nostalgic for all the books I devoured as a kid. Charlotte's Web, Mary Poppins, Where the Wild Things Are, Winnie the Pooh—these are just a handful of the books you'll get to revisit. It's on display through March 2014, so you have plenty of time to make the trip and check it out.

What was your favorite children's book growing up? In fact, the one I loved the most wasn't featured at the NYPL. I loved Dorrie and the Blue Witch by Patricia Coombs. 

(Images via Books 4 Your Kids)

No comments:

Post a Comment