Wednesday, October 8, 2014

How to be Parisian (wherever you are)

I know that I mentioned the books that I'm reading this fall, but my discovery of How To Be Parisian Wherever You Are, by Anne Berest, Audrey Diwan, Caroline de Maigret and Sophie Mas, somehow trumped that list (I'll get back on track soon!). I couldn't help but wonder what these four accomplished ladies had to say about what it really means to be a Parisienne, including how to dress, entertain, go on dates, and have fun. Plus, the book had a promise: it's funny! So far, I love it, and find many parts that are worth repeating to friends, family, coworkers, boyfriends. :) For example, the book's guide to the city's signature colors, all defined by it's culture. I'll explain...
This bright orangey red is reminiscent of seats in a movie theater in Paris (and if you ask me some of the pretty café tables that brighten up a rainy day).
Going to Ladurée? You'll definitely spot this subtle, yet eye-catching hue. According to les femmes parisiennes (aka, the authors of this book), it's the color of a rose-flavored macaron. :)
But of course, this rich and decadent shade defines French color at it's best. It's the shade of a tall glass of Bordeaux, n'est-ce pas?

There are tons more cheeky color definitions where these came from, but what a brilliant idea to create a palette to describe such a unique place. In fact, the reds and greens and blues and yellows and pinks are one of the first things I think of when reminiscing about my travels there.

What are you reading right now?

PS: Another French book I read and loved.

(Image 1)

No comments:

Post a Comment