Thursday, March 24, 2011

My first trip to the Met

Tell me — have you ever been to the opera in New York? Two weekends ago, I had the chance to see Lucia di Lammermoor, an Italian opera being performed at the Met. What a night! The show was so moving and elegant. I especially loved the intense respect for the performers that the audience had. I was even a bit startled the first time I heard someone yell out "Bravo!"

As a kid, I remember my grandmother talking about her biannual trips to the Met. A singer herself, she had a deep love for opera music, and looked forward to catching a live performance with all her heart. Into her late 70s, she would make the trek from Connecticut to the city and sit in the same seats that I did, just two weeks ago. It felt so special to be able to carry on her tradition, and her appreciation for the opera too.

Have you been to the opera before? What was your experience like? Do you think you would go back?

(Images via Kwarmyw0333 and Cinesystem Cinemas)

2 comments:

  1. A friend and I saw a Spanish opera (cannot remember the name) and we also saw 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' which was great!

    Cute orange dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see a Spanish opera in New York. I need to go back to Lincoln Center very soon!

    The dress was definitely my splurge of the season, but oh how I love Steven Alan. :)

    ReplyDelete