Monday, September 22, 2014

Jeff Goldblum + Pink Martini

Last week, I got my fill of arts and culture in New York, first with a chance to see Jeff Goldblum and his band, the Mildred Snitzer Orchestra, at the Carlyle Hotel, and then later in the week, with Pink Martini at the Beacon Theatre on the Upper West Side. 

For Goldblum, this show marked his New York debut (he plays fairly regularly in LA at Rockwell Table & Stage)—and what a performance. The night I was there, he arrived 30 minutes early on stage to joke and banter with the crowd, quizzing his audience on the best Woody Allen films and laughing while teaching the art of heckling. But his talent for piano and singing caused the whole audience to stop their laughter and listen: His voice is dreamy and he has perfect pitch. I fell in love with this tune, called Stella by Starlight.

Two days later, I was at the Beacon, enjoying the world-class sounds of Pink Martini, a group I've followed since being introduced to them at a dinner party in Boston, nearly a decade ago. The host told me Pink Martini albums were his go-to dinner party tunes. I was hooked! Their show in New York was, as always, a treat, made even better by special guests like the Von Trapp grandchildren, who now tour with the band. My favorite song is still Sympathique, a hit from their debut CD back in 1997.

Are you hearing any good music this fall in New York?

(Image 1, 2, and 3)

No comments:

Post a Comment